HARRY M. GUTFLEISH | Business Law Attorney
Represents businesses, business owners, lenders, borrowers, individuals, court-appointed fiduciaries and bankruptcy trustees in bankruptcy proceedings and bankruptcy litigation, commercial transactions, out of court work-outs, commercial litigation, commercial collections, lien enforcement, and business law.
As a business law attorney, Harry has served as lead counsel or has managed a variety of complex litigation in bankruptcy courts and in other courts involving disputes between businesses and individuals, including:
- Disputes between businesses
- Disputes among business owners
- Corporate governance and breaches of fiduciary duty
- Professional malpractice
- Debt collection
- Fraudulent transfers
- Successor liability or alter ego claims
Bankruptcy and Bankruptcy Litigation
Harry handles all aspects of bankruptcy cases and all litigation in connection therewith on behalf of debtors, secured creditors, unsecured creditors, creditors’ committees, court-appointed receivers, and bankruptcy trustees, and also represents or has represented businesses with financial issues in out of court work outs, reorganizations and various types of liquidation under bankruptcy or state laws.
In addition to the litigation above, has served as lead counsel or has managed a variety of complex adversary proceedings in bankruptcy courts, including:
- Preference and other proceedings brought by debtors and bankruptcy trustees
- Proceedings to deny a debtor’s discharge
- Proceedings seeking to except a debt form discharge
- Fraud and fraudulent transfers
- Property interest and lien disputes
Harry has participated in the investigation of several significant real estate, mortgage, securities, healthcare, and investment frauds committed by debtors and their principals, and has pursued the alleged wrongdoers and others on behalf of creditors.
Harry also represents clients in a wide variety of business law matters including business formation, establishing the rights and duties among business owners, loan and loan modification transactions, loan defaults, lien enforcement, disputes between business owners, terminating a business or business relationship, as well as the litigation and bankruptcy matters discussed above.
In one matter, the Federal Bureau of Investigation presented me with a Certificate of Appreciation for “outstanding assistance in a joint investigative effort” leading to the criminal prosecution and conviction of various defendants involved in a real estate Ponzi scheme in New Jersey.
Harry M. Gutfleish has been selected for New Jersey Super Lawyers since 2009, and has been named in 2012 Magazine and New Jersey Monthly as one of Bergen County’s Top Lawyers since 2012.
*The Super Lawyers list is published by Thomson Reuters. A description of the selection methodology can be found here. No aspect of this advertisement has been approved by the Supreme Court of New Jersey.
Harry served as a panelist for seminars sponsored by the Bergen County Bar Association, the Institute of Continuing Legal Education, the New Jersey State Bar Association, and the National Business Institute.
- Basics of chapter 11 bankruptcy practice
- Fraudulent and criminal conduct cases
- Pitfalls of bankruptcy for non-bankruptcy practitioners
- State law liquidation alternatives
- The interplay and tensions between matrimonial and bankruptcy proceedings
- Corporate governance in chapter 11 reorganization cases
- Commercial collection issues
- State of New Jersey
- State of New York
- United States District Court for the District of New Jersey
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- United States District Court for the Northern District of New York
- United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit
Colgate University (B.A., cum laude, 1985)
Boston University School of Law (J.D., cum laude, 1988)
Boston University Law Review, Member (1986-87), Associate Editor (1987-88)
Experience You Can Trust
Daily - 9:30 am to 6:30 pm
Contact Gutfleish Law Confidentially using our Secure Contact Form below: